Bozeman Trail Museum in Big Horn
The Bozeman Trail Museum is housed in a building constructed in 1879 by the Rock Creek Stage Line, the local blacksmith shop. It was 1878 when O.P. Hanna decided to build his cabin near a clear creek, in a sheltered meadow with a magnificent view of the Big Horn Mountains. This was to be the first homestead cabin in what is now Sheridan County. By 1881, pioneer families started settling in Big Horn City, a name chosen by O.P. Hanna.
Refurbishing of the deteriorating building began in 1936 and an additional effort was completed under the guidance of the Big Horn Bi-Centennial Committee of 1976. Upon completion of the project, historic items of interest were gradually moved into the building for safe-keeping. Some items of interest in the museum are dental tools, a pump organ, portions of the 1881 post office, artwork, photograph multiplex of pioneer families, blacksmith and farm implements, pioneer clothing, Indian artifacts, and other collectibles from local families.
The museum is open weekends during the summer months from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The museum shares a property with the Big Horn Women’s Club, ten miles south of Sheridan at the south end of Johnson Street.
We also assist with the preservation of Mt. Hope Cemetery.
Every year there are projects that need our attention. New fence, updated corner markers and road gravel; to name a few. Mt. Hope Cemetery is located about 2 miles east of Big Horn.
House located one block south of the brick church.